Gardner had his very first free cookie from our neighborhood Publix's delicatessen this morning. It was mid-morning, and I thought, "Why not." He was missing his normal mid-morning snack due to our errand-running, and I could always postpone lunch a little. "Chocolate chip or sugar?" the sweet little old lady asked me. Gardner didn't answer. I smiled at him and said to the lady, "Chocolate chip." As she reached into the bin, I said, "Errr....sugar!!" Chocolate chip would melt in his hands, and it would get way too messy. She grabbed a sugar cookie instead, and I watched as she sweetly handed him a round cookie studded with Valentine nonpareils. He smiled widely and stared at his treat with fervor. Two aisles down, I looked back at him as I placed something into our cart. All I could do was smile, albeit nervously, when I saw that he was halfway into his cookie, and red and pink streaks of slobber were trailing down his irrestible...
Comments